September 10, 2009
Van Jones' Resignation: Bad for the Country and Bad for Obama
by Rabbi Michael Lerner
This moment will be looked back upon as giving a signal of encouragement to some of the most fascistic elements in the American political Right.
Van Jones Resignation: Bad for the Country and Bad for Obama By Rabbi Michael Lerner
I signed the same statement on 9/11 that Van Jones signed, and there was nothing immoderate about it. It didn't say what the Right claimed it said (and the mainstream media chimed in without investigation). I'll explain below.
Jones' resignation is bad for the country and for the Obama Administration. It's bad for Americawhen progressive views are an excuse to purge someone from the Administration while extremist right-wing views of past Administrations were always given a "pass."
Van Jones forced resignation is a huge defeat for the forces of sanity and humanity, and represents a deep failure of the Obama-ites to understand the nature of the challenge they face from an increasingly fascistic Right wing.
Jones was the first African American environmentalist to have become a national figure (his book became a national best seller), and was brought into the Administration to help enlist minority communities in the struggle to save the environment from decades of abuse.
Right-wingers pounced on him for a speech in which he allegedly called Right-wingers assholes, though he used the same word to describe himself and the Left. But what gave them a supposedly clinching argument was that he signed a statement calling for an objective investigation of 9/11. Look below to see what it really said—not what the media claimed.
The forced resignation of Van Jones demonstrates the lack of backbone of the Obama Administration.
Jones was a rare progressive appointment among the wide array of Wall Street sycophants and Inside-the-Beltway pragmatists who have misled Obama into a path that has caused him to lose his initial popularity and severely endanger his presidency.
The notion that Jones' past could have a serious impact on the future of health care reform defies all plausibility--those who will oppose health care reform will do so just as strongly without Jones' presence in the White House as they would have had he remained. The message being given by the Obama Administration is clear: if you on the Right critique us, we will pander to you and abandon our friends.
In conditions of expanding prosperity, this would create the possibility of a resurgence of McCarthyism throughout the society. in conditions of growing economic pain, this kind of mimicking of the worst behavior of the German middle-of-the-roaders during the WeimarRepublic sets the stage for the possibility of a genuine home grown fascism in the U.S.
If, God forbid, that should happen, people will look back to the capitulations on health care, human rights, and many other policy areas of the Obama Administration, but will give equal importance to the abandonment of Van Jones and the signal it gives to the Right.
As to how Jones could have signed the statement below, let me make clear that neither he nor I, who also signed the statement, signed something accusing Bush of being directly involved in 9/11. I did authorize my name to be used to call for an investigation of the claims of those who deny the official story of 9/11.
I am now and was then an agnostic about what actually happened to make 9/11 possible, but do agree with those who say that there are enough inconsistencies and problems with the official story to warrant an impartial investigation by people not connected to the government of the US and not bound by political considerations. I think that such an investigation would be a great advantage to everyone.
I have often found myself surrounded by people obsessed with 9/11 and acting in ways that I would call "nut cases" because they are so sure that they know not only what I agree with--namely that the inconsistencies deserve further investigation-- but also what I disagree with, namely that there is a prima facie reason to believe that President Bush had concrete prior knowledge of an attack on the US and for political reasons allowed it to happen. Frankly, I don't believe that one bit, but that is one of the reasons why I'd like to see an impartial investigation by people who have no political stake in the outcome of that investigation,and with the power to subpoena all relevant documents. Such an investigation could once and for all put these paranoid types to rest or at least silence them. So that is why I signed the call.
What the Right did, with the help of the 9/11 "truthers," was to distort the intention of at least some of us who were asked to sign the statement. The "truthers" published that statement with their own speculations of the role of Bush, and the way that it appears on their website makes it possible for someone to imagine that the signatories to the statement were all agreeing to their framing--and that is simply not true. Conversely, the Right used that deceptive form of publicity by the "truthers" to affirm something that Van Jones and others made clear we never intended to sign, namely the claim that Bush was knowingly involved. ( One reason I don't believe Bush was part of 9/11: it was too well executed for that bungler to have been involved. Even Cheney seemed incapable of pulling off a serious military move, much less something that would have required the coordination and secrecy to make 9/11 happen, and then keep secret the involvement of others for the next eight years.. Though it worked very much in favor of their militarist policies, they were far too incompetent to have made it happen. )
I was asked to sign a letter which I was told had four demands: As Americans of conscience, we ask for four things: An immediate investigation by New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer Immediate investigation in Congressional Hearings. Media attention to scrutinize and investigate the evidence. The formation of a truly independent citizens-based inquiry.
I did not authorize my name to be used for all the other stuff that I now see was included surrounding the letter, namely the sponsors of that 911truth.org, and would not have had I been aware that all that stuff was presented in ways that suggested that I agreed with it, and though I do recognize a few of the people I'd consider "nut cases" among the list of signatories, my guess is that most of those who signed were, like me, unaware of the context in which our names would appear.
Some time after signing that, I was asked to be part of a book of people questioning 9/11. In that book I said what I said here--that I am an agnostic on the question of what really happened, neither believing the official story nor the alternative stories that I've heard presented. However, in that article I made clear that I believe that the people pushing in that direction of trying to make this into a big issue were making a mistake, not because I knew that they were wrong, but because I don't think that progressives or spiritual progressives like myself should be wasting their time uncovering conspiracies
. My own experience with the FBI and other law enforcement groups during the anti-Vietnam-war movement period in the 60s and 70s leads me to believe that there are far more conspiracies than most of us would believe, but they are fundamentally irrelevant to what shapes American policies, and hence not worth spending much time on unless one's goal is to become a famous investigative reporter. The uncovering of Watergate, in my estimation, actually served to focus attention away from the structural problems in American politics and economics that generated American need to dominate much of the world, and instead into a focus on the specific criminal acts of Richard Nixon.
I would have been far more interested in seeing the war crimes actions of Dr. Kissinger brought to justice, and the military industrial complex which he represented and the FBI that engaged in illegal acts exposed by the Frank Church investigations into Co-Intelpro in 1994 and 95. So, I've urged these people to stop putting their energy into this focus on 9/11 which is, in my view, a waste of time and energy. Yet, for the good of the country, I would like to see some impartial investigation done if that were imaginable (it certainly won't be generated by the Obama Administration or by the current Congress), to answer all the legitimate questions that have been raised and not yet answered.
My guess is that they can be answered in ways that will disappoint those who think that the whole thing was a conspiracy, because most of what seems most questionable or implausible is based on the theory that people normally act rationally, whereas my own experience as a psychotherapist for several decades leads me to believe that what seemed irrational and hence possibly intended for some other purpose (for example, the way so many people ignored the warnings being given to FBI and other intelligence agencies in the months before 9/1 warning about many of the aspects of 9/11) turn out to be just the normal stupidity and lack of attention that one finds pervasive in so many of human institutions and social practices, and not a reflection of a conspiracy to win political advantage!!!
But this kind of complex answer doesn't fit into a sound byte, does it?
The bigger issue remains: how Obama responds to the assaults from the Right. The pattern he sets by allowing his assistants to force Jones to resign (or set by Jones himself in the unlikely case that he made the decision without such outside pressure) is one of capitulation—and that will only guarantee yet more extreme assaults from the Right. Wilhelm Reich in the late 1920s analyzed the growth of fascism in Germany, and one of his important observations was that the fascists managed to intimidate people because the Left was not in the streets challenging them. Luckily, we are not yet at a point where the Right is scaring people in the streets of American cities, but they are doing so through the media. What is needed is a vigorous challenge in the media from liberals and progressives, and the obvious place from which that should be coming is the Obama Administration. If, instead, they wimp out, as so many Congressional Democrats have done for the past many years, the Right will be encouraged and tens of millions of decent Americans will become fearful and withdraw from public involvement, allowing a path to power for some of the most hate-oriented forces in American society. Historians may well look back at the Van Jones resignation as an important step in that process of shifting the society, so recently rejoicing at having gotten back on track toward progressive values, toward a renewed McCarthyism or worse.
Of course, I have lots of compassion for Obama and for Jones, because when they peer out into the society they don't hear enough voices speaking out on their behalf. Please read the Sept/Oct editorial I wrote on that topic! And I have compassion for many Americans on the Right who have been deeply misled both about the facts and about how to understand them by rightwing media like FOX, and by spineless liberal politicians and media who rarely provide Americans with an alternative context through which they can analyze their experiences and the news. But that compassion should not lead us to inaction, but rather to vigorous advocacy of a spiritual progressive perspective, recognizing that many Americans would actually be quite moved were they to hear such a perspective and see how that could be tied to specific programs to heal and transform our world.
Rabbi Michael Lerner Editor, Tikkun Magazine The Original Statement We Signed: Please note that the only reference to involvement of government officials (implied: Bush Administration) comes in reference to a poll that indicated Americans belief that such involvement was possible. To seek an independent investigation, which is what I and Van Jones and others called for, was NOT to endorse the suspicion of conspiracy, but at least in my case and in the case of many others, to want to put that behind us by insisting on getting a coherent story rather than the obviously inadequate story put out by the US government and media. In citing issues that had not been reoslved, the signatories to this letter were referencing unanswered questions that required an impartial investigation. In fact, they still do require such an investigation, but not because of any reason to suspect that the Bush Administration itself was directly involved. Tuesday, October 26 2004 - Endorsements & Support 911 Truth Statement
Respected Leaders and Families Launch 9/11 Truth Statement Demanding Deeper Investigation into the Events of 9/11
NEW YORK CITY, NY (Oct. 26, 2004) - An alliance of 100 prominent Americans and 40 family members of those killed on 9/11 today announced the release of the 911 Truth Statement, a call for immediate inquiry into evidence that suggests high-level government officials may have deliberately allowed the September 11th attacks to occur. The Statement supports an August 31st Zogby poll that found nearly 50% of New Yorkers believe the government had foreknowledge and "consciously failed to act," with 66% wanting a new 9/11 investigation. Focusing on twelve questions, the Statement highlights areas of incriminating evidence that were either inadequately explored or ignored by the Kean Commission, ranging from insider trading and hijacker funding to foreign government forewarnings and inactive defenses around the Pentagon. The Statement asks for four actions: an immediate investigation by New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, Congressional hearings, media analysis, and the formation of a truly independent citizens-based inquiry. The Statement's list of signatories includes notables spanning the political spectrum, from Presidential candidates Ralph Nader, Michael Badnarik, and David Cobb to Catherine Austin Fitts, a member of the first Bush administration, as well as Washington veterans like Pentagon whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg and retired CIA analyst Ray McGovern. Other signers range from peace activists like Code Pink co-founder Jodie Evans and Global Exchange's Kevin Danaher to former US Ambassador and Chief of Mission to Iraq, Edward L. Peck; from environmentalists like Randy Hayes and John Robbins to business leaders such as Paul Hawken and Karl Schwarz, CEO of Patmos Nanotechnologies; from populist journalist Ronnie Dugger to renowned investigative reporter Kelly Patricia O'Meara. The Statement also includes 43 noted authors, including New York Times #1 bestseller John Gray, as well as 18 eminent professors, historians, and theologians. Other notables include five-term Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, singers Michelle Shocked and Michael Franti, and actors Ed Asner and Mimi Kennedy. The Statement was facilitated by 911truth.org, a leading coalition. The organization has also announced a press conference outside of Eliot Spitzer's Manhattan office (corner of Cedar and Nassau) at 2:00PM on Thursday, Oct. 28th where 9/11 family members and victim group representatives will file a formal complaint demanding the first criminal investigation of 9/11 events by the New York Attorney General. The Statement We Want Real Answers About 9/11 On August 31, 2004, Zogby International, the official North American political polling agency for Reuters, released a poll that found nearly half (49.3%) of New York City residents and 41% of those in New York state believe US leaders had foreknowledge of impending 9/11 attacks and "consciously failed" to act. Of the New York City residents, 66% called for a new probe of unanswered questions by Congress or the New York Attorney General. In connection with this news, we have assembled 100 notable Americans and 40 family members of those who died to sign this 9/11 Statement, which calls for immediate public attention to unanswered questions that suggest that people within the current administration may indeed have deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen, perhaps as a pretext for war. We want truthful answers to questions such as:
1. Why were standard operating procedures for dealing with hijacked airliners not followed that day?
2. Why were the extensive missile batteries and air defenses reportedly deployed around the Pentagon not activated during the attack?
3. Why did the Secret Service allow Bush to complete his elementary school visit, apparently unconcerned about his safety or that of the schoolchildren?
4. Why hasn't a single person been fired, penalized, or reprimanded for the gross incompetence we witnessed that day?
5. Why haven't authorities in the U.S. and abroad published the results of multiple investigations into trading that strongly suggested foreknowledge of specific details of the 9/11 attacks, resulting in tens of millions of dollars of traceable gains?
6. Why has Sibel Edmonds, a former FBI translator who claims to have knowledge of advance warnings, been publicly silenced with a gag order requested by Attorney General Ashcroft and granted by a Bush-appointed judge?
7. How could Flight 77, which reportedly hit the Pentagon, have flown back towards Washington D.C. for 40 minutes without being detected by the FAA's radar or the even superior radar possessed by the US military?
8. How were the FBI and CIA able to release the names and photos of the alleged hijackers within hours, as well as to visit houses, restaurants, and flight schools they were known to frequent?
9. What happened to the over 20 documented warnings given our government by 14 foreign intelligence agencies or heads of state?
10. Why did the Bush administration cover up the fact that the head of the Pakistani intelligence agency was in Washington the week of 9/11 and reportedly had $100,000 wired to Mohamed Atta, considered the ringleader of the hijackers?
11. Why did the 911 Commission fail to address most of the questions posed by the families of the victims, in addition to almost all of the questions posed here?
12. Why was Philip Zelikow chosen to be the Executive Director of the ostensibly independent 911 Commission although he had co-authored a book with Condoleezza Rice?
Those who are demanding deeper inquiry now number in the hundreds of thousands, including a former member of the first Bush administration, a retired Air Force colonel, a European parliamentarian, families of the victims, highly respected authors, investigative journalists, peace and justice leaders, former Pentagon staff, and the National Green Party. As Americans of conscience, we ask for four things:
1. An immediate investigation by New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer
2. Immediate investigation in Congressional Hearings.
3. Media attention to scrutinize and investigate the evidence.
4. The formation of a truly independent citizens-based inquiry.
Given the importance of the coming election, we feel it is imperative that these questions be addressed publicly, honestly, and rigorously so that Americans may exercise their democratic rights with full awareness. In closing, we pray and hope for the strength to approach this subject with wisdom and compassion so that we may heal from the wounds inflicted on that terrible day. Signed, Signatories Note: All organizations are mentioned for identification purposes only. Individuals have signed this statement as an act of their own conscience, not to signify organizational endorsement.
1. Virginia Deane Abernethy, Ph.D., anthropologist, author, Population Politics
2. Ed Asner, actor, activist
3. Marshall Auerback, international portfolio strategist for David W. Tice & Associates, Inc.
4. Catherine Austin Fitts, Asst. Secretary of Housing in the first Bush administration
5. Keidi Obi Awadu, aka The Conscious Rasta, talk show host, LIBRadio
6. Michael Badnarik, Libertarian candidate for President
7. Byron Belitsos, publisher, Origin Press, author Planetary Democracy
8. Philip J. Berg, Esquire, former deputy attorney general, Pennsylvania
9. Medea Benjamin, activist, author, co-founder, Global Exchange and Code Pink
10. Dennis Bernstein, investigative reporter, radio host of KPFA's Flashpoints
11. Steve Bhaerman aka Swami Beyondananda, author, political comedian
12. Brad Blanton, Ph.D., psychotherapist, author, Radical Honesty
13. Saniel Bonder, spiritual teacher and author, Great Relief
14. Dr. Robert Bowman, USAF Lt. Col. (Rtd.), founder, Institute for Space and Security Studies
15. John Buchanan, author, candidate for the Republican Party Presidential nomination, 2004
16. Gray Brechin, Ph.D., author, environmental historian, professor, UC Berkeley
17. Fred Burks, presidential interpreter for Bush, Clinton, Cheney, and Gore
18. Norma Carr-Rufino, Ph.D., author, professor of management, San Francisco State University
19. Angana Chatterji, Ph.D., scholar-activist and professor of anthropology
20. Paul Cienfuegos, co-founder, Democracy Unlimited of Humboldt County
21. David Cobb, attorney, national presidential candidate, US Green Party
22. John Cobb, Ph.D., theologian, co-author, For the Common Good
23. Ernest Callenbach, founder/editor, Film Quarterly, author, Ecotopia
24. Kevin Danaher, Ph.D., author, speaker, co-founder, Global Exchange
25. Stephen Dinan, author, Radical Spirit
26. Ronnie Dugger, journalist/author, co-founder, Alliance for Democracy
27. Daniel Ellsberg, author, Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers
28. Jodie Evans, co-founder, Code Pink
29. Richard Falk, Professor Emeritus of International Law, Princeton University
30. Michael Franti, musician, filmmaker, human rights worker
31. Janeane Garofalo, actress, comedienne, talk show host, Air America Radio
32. Jim Garrison, Ph.D., president, State of the World Forum, author, America as Empire
33. Bruce Gagnon, Chair, Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space
34. Ric Giardina, author, consultant, speaker, former Director of Trademarks and Brands for Intel
35. John Gray, Ph.D., #1 bestselling author, Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus
36. Stan Goff, 25-year Army Special Ops veteran, author, Full Spectrum Disorder
37. Melvin Goodman, senior fellow, Center for International Policy, author, former Senior Analyst, CIA, professor, National WarCollege
38. Morton Goulder, Deputy Secretary for Intelligence and Warning under Nixon, Ford, and Carter
39. David Ray Griffin, Ph.D., theologian, author, New Pearl Harbor
40. Doris "Granny D" Haddock, campaign finance crusader, NH Democratic candidate for Senate
41. Thom Hartmann, radio host; author, Unequal Protection
42. Richie Havens, singer, songwriter, performer, artist
43. Paul Hawken, bestselling author, environmentalist, entrepreneur, founder of Smith & Hawken
44. Randy Hayes, founder, Rainforest Action Network, US National Director, Direction Conservation
45. Richard Heinberg, author, The Party's Over, core faculty, New College of California
46. Van Jones, executive director, Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
47. Rob Kall, editor, OpEdNews.com, president, Futurehealth, Inc.
48. Georgia Kelly, executive director, Praxis Peace Institute
49. Sean Kelly, Ph.D., author, professor of philosophy and religion, CA Institute of Integral Studies
50. John Joseph Kennedy, Democratic Write-in Presidential Candidate for 2004
51. Mimi Kennedy, actress, Dharma and Greg, progressive activist
52. Faiz Khan, M.D., Triage Emergency Physician on 9/11, Assistant Imam
53. David Korten, author, When Corporations Rule the World
54. Frances Moore Lapp?, author, Diet for a Small Planet; founder, Small Planet Institute
55. Scott M. Legere, 25 year radio broadcaster as Scott Ledger, Tampa FL
56. Rabbi Michael Lerner, editor, TIKKUN Magazine, author, Healing Israel/Palestine
57. Michael Levine, bestselling author of Deep Cover, journalist, 25-year veteran of the DEA
58. Joanna Macy, Ph.D., eco-philosopher, author
59. Enver Masud, founder, The Wisdom Fund, author, The Truth About Islam
60. John McCarthy, former Special Forces Captain, president, Veterans Equal Rights Protection Advocacy
61. Ray McGovern, former CIA analyst, co-founder, Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity
62. Cynthia McKinney, five-term Congresswoman from Georgia
63. Ralph Metzner, Ph.D., author, professor, co-founder, Green Earth Foundation
64. Mark Crispin Miller, media critic, author, professor, New York University
65. Joseph W. Montaperto, New York City Fire Department
66. Leuren Moret, geoscientist, radiation specialist, environmental commissioner
67. Ralph Nader, Independent candidate for President
68. Craig Neal, author, co-founder, The Heartland Institute, former publisher, Utne Reader
69. Jeff Norman, executive director, Tour of Duty
70. Jenna Orkin, Esquire, World Trade Center Environmental Organization
71. Kelly Patricia O'Meara, investigative journalist, public relations
72. Michael Parenti, Ph.D., author, Superpatriotism and The Terrorism Trap
73. Edward L. Peck, former US Ambassador and Chief of Mission to Iraq, former Deputy Director to the White House Task Force on Terrorism
74. Peter Phillips, Ph.D., professor, Sonoma State University, director, Project Censored
75. Henri Poole, Internet pioneer, board member, Free Software Foundation
76. Robert Rabbin, author, speaker, creator of TruthForPresident.org
77. Paul H. Ray, Ph.D., sociologist, author, The Cultural Creatives
78. John Renesch, business futurist, author, Getting to the Better Future
79. John Rensenbrink, professor emeritus, Bowdoin College, co-founder, US Green Party
80. John Robbins, author, founder, EarthSave International
81. William Rodriguez, 9/11 rescue effort hero, founder, Hispanic Victims Group
82. Neal Rogin, Emmy-award winning writer, performer, social observer
83. Allen Roland, Ph.D., psychotherapist, published author and peace activist
84. Rosemary Radford Ruether, professor of feminist theology, Graduate Theological Union
85. Michael Ruppert, publisher/editor, From The Wilderness, author, Crossing the Rubicon
86. Chris Sanders, founder, Sanders Research Associates
87. Karl W. B. Schwarz, President, CEO, Patmos Nanotechnologies, LLC
88. Peter Dale Scott, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, author, Drugs, Oil, and War
89. Firefighter Kevin Shea, FDNY Hazmat Operations
90. Michelle Shocked, singer/songwriter, activist
91. Indira Singh, risk management and computer systems consultant
92. J. Michael Springmann, attorney, former Foreign Service Officer, US Department of State
93. Douglas Sturm, Ph.D., university professor emeritus, Bucknell University
94. Marjorie Hewit Suchocki, Ph.D., theologian, author
95. Chuck Turner, Boston City Council
96. James W. Walter Jr., venture investor, philanthropist, founder of Walden Three
97. Dan Whaley, E-commerce pioneer, founder of GetThere.com, acquired for $750M
98. Burns H. Weston, J.S.D., Professor of Law Emeritus, Director, Center for Human Rights, U-Iowa
99. Howard Zinn, professor, historian, author, A People's History of the United States
1. Joanne Barbara, wife of FDNY Asst. Chief of Dept. Gerard Barbara
2. Gayle Barker, sister of William A. Karnes, WTC
3. Michele Bergsohn, wife of Alvin Bergsohn, Cantor Fitzgerald
4. Derrill Bodley, father of Deora Bodley, passenger on Flight 93
5. Kathryn C. Bowden, sister of Thomas H. Bowden, Jr. WTC1, 104th floor
6. Janet Calia, wife of Dominick Calia, Cantor Fitzgerald, WTC1
7. Maggie Cashman, wife of William Joseph Cashman, United Flight 93
8. Lynne Castrianno Galante, sister of Leonard Castrianno, 1WTC, 105th floor
9. Elza Chapa-McGowan, daughter of Rosemary Chapa, Pentagon
10. Bruce De Cell, father-in-law of Mark Petrocelli North Tower, 92nd floor
11. Ralph D'Esposito, father of Michael D'Esposito, WTC, 96th floor
12. Loisanne Diehl, Surviving Spouse, Michael D. Diehl, WTC2, 90th floor
13. Adina D. Eisenberg, sister of Eric Eisenberg, WTC
14. Jonathan M. Fisher, son of Dr. Gerald Paul "Geep" Fisher, Pentagon
15. Michael J. Fox, brother of Jeffrey L. Fox, Tower 2, 89th floor
16. Laurel A. Gay, sister of Peter A. Gay, AA Flight 11
17. Irene Golinsky, wife of Col. Ronald F. Golinski USA RET, Pentagon
18. Lori, Jerry, and Beatrice Guadagno, sister and parents of Richard Guadagno, Flight 93
19. Kristen Hall, daughter of fallen firefighter Thomas Kuveikis 9/11
20. Kurt D. Horning, father of Matthew D. Horning, WTC Tower One, 95th floor
21. Jennifer W. Hunt, wife of William C. Hunt, Euro Brokers
22. John Keating, son of Barbara Keating, passenger on AA Flight 11
23. L. Russell Keene II, father of Russ Keene III, WTC2, 89th floor, KBW
24. Peter Kousoulis, sister died in WTC
25. Paul & Barbara Kirwin, parents of Glenn Davis Kirwin, Cantor Fitzgerald 105th floor
26. Barbara Krukowski-Rastelli, mother of William E. Krukowski, NYC firefighter
27. Laura and Ira Lassman, parents of Nicholas C. Lassman, died in WTC, Tower One
28. Johnny Lee, husband of Lorraine Greene
29. Alicia LeGuillow, mother of Nestor A. Cintron III
30. Francine Levine, sister of Adam K. Ruhalter, who died on 9/11
31. Bob McIlvaine, father of Robert McIlvaine, WTC, Merrill Lynch
32. Mary McWilliams, mother of FF Martin E. McWilliams- Engine 22
33. Daryl J. Meehan, brother of Colleen Ann Barkow, WTC 1, 105th floor
34. Elvira P. Murphy, wife of Patrick Murphy, WTC 1
35. Natalee Pecorelli, sister of Thomas Pecorelli of Flight 11
36. James L Perry, M.D and Patricia J. Perry, parents of John W. Perry, Esq., NYPD Officer 9/11
37. David Potorti, brother of James Potorti, North Tower, WTC, Marsh & McLennan
38. Terry Kay Rockefeller, sister of Laura Rockefeller, North Tower, WTC
39. Grissel Rodriguez-Valentin, wife of Benito Valentin, WTC1, 94th floor
40. Alissa Rosenberg-Torres, widow of Luis Eduardo Torres, post-9/11 mother, writer
41. Elaine Saber, mother of Scott Saber
42. Julie Scarpitta, mother of Michelle Scarpitta, WTC Building 2, 84th floor
43. Paula Shapiro, mother of Eric Eisenberg, WTC2
44. Elizabeth Turner, wife of Simon Turner, lost on 11th September 2001
45. Adele Welty, mother of Firefighter Timothy Welty, FDNY, Squad 288
46. Joan W. Winton, mother of David Winton, WTC, South Tower, 89th floor
47. David Yancey, husband of Vicki Yancey, American Airlines Flight 77
48. Nissa Youngren, daughter of Robert G. LeBlanc, flight 175
Late Signatories (starting toward 2000...)
1. Rita M. Haley, President, National Organization for Women, New York Chapter
2. Immortal Technique, Harlem-based hip-hop artist with Viper Records, Revolutionary I&II
3. Bob Kirkconnell, served in the U.S. Air Force 27 years, reaching the rank of Master Sergeant
4. Dennis Kyne, former Army air medic, 18th Airborne Corps during Gulf War I, musician, author, "Support the Truth"
5. Paul Landis, author, "Stop Bush Now!"
6. Eric H. May, former Army military intelligence officer and media essayist
7. Charles Shaw, Editor, Newtopia Magazine, National Peace Action Coordinator, National Green Party
8. Peter Erlinder, professor, William Mitchell College of Law, past-President National Lawyers Guild
9. Daniel Robert Rezac, 2004 Vice-Presidential Write-In Candidate, former Aviator & Armor Officer, Army National Guard, B.S.B.A.
10. Joel Horwitz, lost beloved cousin in WTC 1
11. Jessica Murrow, lost husband Stephen Adams, Beverage Manager, Windows on the World, WTC 1
12. Ellen Mariani, lost husband Neil on Flight 175
13. Jean Hunt, disabled survivor of Pentagon attack
14. Ralph & Brigitte Sabbag, lost son Jason in WTC 2